- Boating: protected waters for sailing, windsurfing or ‘messing about’. Boats are available locally and there are daily whale- watching trips from the quay
- Swimming: from the end of both lanes
- Fishing: mackerel and pollock in the harbour; deep sea from Baltimore (1/2 hour); trout and salmon (in season) within 15 minutes
- Golf: Welcoming Skibbereen Golf Club is 15 minutes away with 4 other challenging courses within a 40 minute drive
- Tennis: Castletownshend has it’s own court for use by residents and visitors
- Biking and walks: Castletownshend is surrounded by lovely lanes for hill and seaside walks; rental bikes are available locally
- Sightseeing: within 2 hours you have Blarney Castle, the Ring of Kerry, the Lakes of Killarney and a dozen less famous but equally beautiful places
- Pubs: there are two wonderfully friendly pubs in the village, one with a widely praised restaurant
- Atlantic Sea Kayaking is based just across the harbor. Renowned long distance paddler and coach Jim Kennedy provides many different kyaking packages for all levels of experience. The Moonlight paddle is a particular favorite, with the phosphorescence of the Atlantic all around.
- Also based just across the harbor is Nick Slocum’s Whale Watch West Cork. The government of Ireland had declared the coast to be a whale and dolphin sanctuary so there are plenty of sighting opportunities.
- Nearby is the town of Skibbereen, the commercial center of West Cork.
- Skibbereen Heritage Center. With fascinating exhibits on the Great Famine, local genealogy and more.
- Lough Hyne, Ireland’s first Marine Nature Reserve is a tidal lake and features a unique marine ecology. The interpretive center gives remarkable insights into this national treasure.
- Landfall Cottage lies at the heart of the The West Cork Garden Trail. A beautiful collection of gardens with a grand variety of layouts, themes and flora imported from around the world. Garden lovers will also appreciate the Creagh Gardens, on the road from Skibbereen to Baltimore.
- Respected Chamber Music Festival
- South Cork Sailing Club
Go to More Pictures to see more